Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Author Day at Old Fort Elementary :)

I thoroughly enjoyed my day at Old Fort Elementary School!  First of all,  I had an excellent and professional media coordinator, Mrs. Greta Fletcher, who offered her assistance to me throughout the day.   She went beyond the call of duty to help in so many ways. As any educator in our public school system,  I know she has a full schedule, but she took precious time to give me a personal tour of Old Fort Elementary School.  This was my first visit to this particular school; I couldn’t believe how big it is! It is very well maintained and it is obvious the teachers and students respect the building and grounds.
On our tour she introduced me to Old Fort’s principal, Mrs. Carolyn Hunter. I was so pleased that Mrs. Hunter came by to hear one of my presentations, I know how difficult that was with her hectic schedule. But I truly appreciated her attending.
Mrs. Fletcher was so kind to set up my power point  and allowed me to use her personal “clicker” so I could walk around while presenting the ”writing process” to the students.  It was wonderful to be able to move away from the stationary laptop; I felt more connected to my audience.  Speaking of my audience,  I spoke to classes in grades 2-6 today.   The students were sweet, respectful and attentive. I know I say that about all the classes I see, but it's true! They also asked thoughtful and creative questions.  One student asked the dimensions of the Biltmore House… How wide? How long?  Of all the schools I have had the privilege of visiting, this was the first question that stumped me! But I will find out! I hope to do a little research tonight and find the answer to his question.  I never professed to know every answer, but I honestly love it when they ask something I don’t know. That makes me dig to learn more. 
I appreciated the “C” team that came to the media center and helped with “crowd control”.  ;0) I know they tired of hearing the same presentation over and over, but they smiled and stayed with me all throughout the day. A special thank you to them.
I saw some wonderful folks that I hadn’t seen in a while. Mrs. Greene, Mrs. Willis, and Mrs. James... such sweet, sweet people.  I missed a couple of dear friends… I think they were absent today… Mrs. Glenn and Mrs. Carroll… I would love to have visited with them.

It was a wonderful day at Old Fort proving once again the excellent educational system we have in McDowell County. I wish everyone had the opportunity to see  students like I have seen them over the past few weeks as I have visited most of the elementary schools. They would be so proud.  I have one more scheduled school to visit – I can’t wait – Nebo Elementary … Here I come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment