Monday, February 10, 2014

Author Day at Nebo Elementary School

Today was a great day at Nebo Elementary School;  I enjoyed presenting the writing process to their third and fourth graders.  However, with the encouragement of Mrs. Julie McKinney, media coordinator, I shared a new presentation I have been working on with the fifth and sixth grade students. Although I presented some of the same information that is in the original power point, this new one focused more on the research I did while writing My Days with Nell. I think it went well! The students in all grade levels were  respectful, receptive and attentive.  They asked great questions, very thoughtful and challenging.

A special thank you to Mrs. McKinney.  She stayed with me throughout the morning helping me with the technological set up and was so kind and friendly. We realized quickly we had several friends in common and also  share a love for the Biltmore House... which made for an instant connection!  It has been such a blessing to meet all of the media coordinators in McDowell County.  These are exceptional women, each has been professional, intelligent and gracious.

I appreciate Mrs. Joyce Poplin, principal, for not only attending my first presentation, but welcoming me warmly and offering encouragement.   For me, it has been a  little daunting to be around educators and administrators in this endeavor - I am not a teacher - but I have been the recipient of generous compliments and  reassuring words which I have deeply appreciated.

This was my last scheduled Author Day;  I have enjoyed each visit so much, and I will miss the time I have shared with them.  I have discovered each school has their own personality, but the administrators, media coordinators, teachers and  students have all been the same. I have been treated with kindness, respect and been given precious time to share my love of writing and all things Biltmore. I am grateful for that.  I hope the students learned a little about the writing process and a few facts about the beautiful Biltmore House and the Vanderbilt family that called it their home.




No comments:

Post a Comment